DESATERO COOL VÝLETNÍKA

St. James Church

Beroun Sights and Attractions Church Monuments
The three-nave dean church of St. James the Greater dates back to the time of the foundation of the town. It was rebuilt and extended in 1543. The church burned down several times and save for the belfry was restored in the 17th century. The new belfry was built in the 17th century in the Baroque style.  The church and its interior furnishings underwent a thorough renovation under the leadership of well-known architect Josef Fanta in 1903-1907. Untill 16th century the church was surrounded by a cemetary. The most valuable relics include pictures by the painter Jan Petr Molitor, namely the picture of St. John of Nepomuk on the altar of the same saint in the left cathedral nave. Further, the picture of the Descent of Christ from the Cross by an an unknown painter which ich situated above the Lord´s Grave Altar in the same nave. The Rococo pulpit made in 1754 is the work of the Prague carver Josef Šnábl. The tin baptistery mad in 1606 by Matouš Flemink of Rakovník is of historical value.

According to the myth, at 2 am on the first Sunday of Advent, a strange organ sounds ca be heard from the church and lights behind the windows can be seen. This "mass of the dead" is consecrated by the priest who had died the last. Anyone alive who would enter the church would die within three days. Address: Seydlovo náměstí Coordinates: 49.9638744, 14.0715617

The Church of the Annunciation

Beroun Sights and Attractions Church Monuments
During the Great Plague of 1520, the councillors founded a new cemetary. Five years later, a single-nave church consecrated to the Annunciation was built here. Due to its position beyond the city gate it is called the "Zábranský" church. A wooden belfry was adjoined to the church in 1566. The Late Gothic church was rebuilt in the Baroque style in 1738-1744. The wooden belfry was removed in 1813 due to dilapidation. After the arrival of the Piarists in Beroun in 1773, church services were given here until 1870, when the left the city.
The church underwent repairs in 1875-1876 and an adjoining tower was constructed. The last renovation took place in 1994. As for the interior furnishings of the church, the main altar by the Prague carver F. Ublacker deserves attention. The Rococo style pulpit with reliefs dtes back to 1756. A charnel house, sometimes called the Plague Chapel from the 18th century, is situated in the cemetery. In front of the chapel there are tombstones from the 16th and early 17th century. Address: Plzeňská, Beroun Coordinates: 49.9613956, 14.0672844

The Chapel of the Virgin Mary of Sorrows

Beroun Sights and Attractions Church Monuments
A chapel was built in 1724 above a spring of miraculous water. In 1733 - 1786, hermits lived near the chapel. Both the chapel and the hermitage were shut down in 1787 by order of Emperor Joseph II. In 1894 - 1895, the chapel was restored and built in the Pseudo-Gothic style according to the plans by the significant architect and renovator of Karlštejn Castle, Josef Mocker.
The place was very popular by the famous Czech conductor Václav Talich, Coordinates: 49.9714897, 14.0602617

The Jewish Cemetery

Beroun Sights and Attractions Church Monuments
The Jewish Cemetery was founded in 1886. 130 tomb stones have been preserved. The cemetery was used after the Second World War as well. House No. 186, dating back to the end of the 19th century, has been preserved at the entrance. A "tahara" (a room where corpses were ritually cleaned) and the grave diggers flat used to be located in this house. 
The cemetery can be visited. Prior phone reservation is required. Address: Pod Homolkou, Beroun Coordinates: 49.9583667, 14.0469742

St. Nicholas Church

Borek Church Monuments
This originally a gothic church used to stand in the middle of a village, which was destroyed during the Hussite wars.
The church was rebuilt in Baroque style in the first half of 18th century. The single-nave rectangle building with a triangle presbytary is furnished with 19th century furniture. The altar painting dates back to the second half of 18th century. Address: Borek Coordinates: 49.8860483, 14.0434986